Virginia Medical Waste Disposal Solutions from Sharps Compliance
Make Sharps Compliance your trusted partner for regulatory compliance with Virginia's many medical waste handling and disposal regulations. We provide you with everything you need for safe collection, storage, transportation, cradle-to-grave tracking of sharps waste, red bag waste, dental waste, pharmaceutical waste, and other types of biohazardous wastes.
Customers can schedule an on-site pickup or use our convenient mailback containers to send their regulated medical and pharmaceutical wastes to our treatment facilities for safe, regulatory-compliant treatment and disposal.
Our Virginia medical waste disposal customers range from small quantity generators (SQGs) to large quantity generators (LQGs). We serve many types of businesses and health care providers, including physician offices, dental offices, veterinary clinics, hospitals, pathology labs, home healthcare agencies, tattoo parlors, and long-term care facilities.
The Sharps' office for Virginia is located in Rockville, VA. We offer services for not only the Richmond, VA metro area but also the entire state of Virginia, including:
- Petersburg, VA
- Hopewell, VA
- Colonial Heights, VA
- Virginia Beach, VA
- Norfolk, VA
- Roanoke, VA
- Alexandria, VA
- Lynchburg, VA
- Fairfax, VA
- Williamsburg, VA
- Suffolk, VA
- Leesburg, VA
- Arlington, VA
We Design Custom Medical Waste Disposal Solutions
Sharps Compliance is a nationwide company with a local focus. Medical waste disposal is highly regulated, and waste generators must comply with federal, state, and even local regulations.
Sharps' team of experts customizes regulatory compliant solutions to meet your facility's unique and variable needs. For example, a waste generator who doesn't generate enough medical waste to require on-site pickup might benefit from one or all of these mailback solutions:
- TakeAway Recovery System is a complete system designed for the safe collection, packaging, and transport of sharps and used healthcare products. It's comprised of a sharps container, prepaid shipping return box, and the necessary items for proper packaging.
- TakeAway Recovery System for Trace Chemo Drugs: These systems support the regulatory compliant collection, transport, tracking, and treatment of syringes, needles, empty vials, tubing, and other items contaminated with trace amounts of chemotherapy.
- MedSafe: The MedSafe medication collection receptacles are utilized for the disposal of ultimate-user medications per the 2014 DEA Final Rule. Ultimate users may dispose of their unwanted, unused, and expired prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, and Schedules II-V controlled medications.
A MedSafe container may be placed in retail pharmacies, LTCFs managed by a pharmacy, hospitals or clinics with an on-site pharmacy, law enforcement agencies, and narcotic treatment programs per the DEA's rule.
Compliance with Medical Waste Regulations in Virginia
Regulated medical waste management in Virginia is governed by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The Virginia RMW Management Regulations (9VAC20-120) "establish standards and procedures for the management of all RMW in order to protect public health and safety." These regulations are currently being amended (Amendment 3) to "modernize the standards for general handling and treatment of RMW based on industry best management practices."
The types of solid wastes considered regulated medical wastes in Virginia include:
- Cultures and stocks of microorganisms and biologicals
- Items contaminated with human blood or body fluids
- Tissues and other anatomical wastes
- Sharps (such as needles, syringes with attached needles, suture needles, and scalpels)
- Animal carcasses and related wastes when animals are intentionally infected
- Mixtures and residues of regulated medical waste (such as from cleanups of RMW spills)
- Solid waste suspected by the health care professional in charge of being capable of producing infectious disease in humans
Complex regulatory requirements and frequent updates are not unusual. Federal and state officials routinely refine and rewrite requirements to protect public safety and apply best practices to medical waste management activities. Waste generators must keep up to stay in compliance.
Sharps Compliance: A Partner You Can Trust
When you have Sharps Compliance as an RMW management partner, we do the heavy lifting required to help you remain compliant with federal and Virginia regulatory requirements.
Choosing the right partner is important! Remember that you, the waste generator, have cradle-to-grave liability and responsibility for the waste you generate.
Sharps Compliance has more than two decades of experience helping medical waste generators comply with medical waste handling and disposal regulations. Our route-based transporters are dually permitted in the state of Virginia for the direct pickup, transport, and treatment of both medical and hazardous wastes.
You Need the Sharps Compliance Advantage
- Affordable, transparent pricing
- Never any hidden fees or surcharges
- Superior, personal customer service
- Access to our medical waste regulatory expert staff
- A secure, online tracking system that meets the cradle-to-grave requirements for regulated wastes, including storage of records for a minimum of five years
- DOT- and OSHA-required training available online 24/7
- Immediate access to an online regulatory resource that offers up-to-date compliance information
- Flexible medical waste disposal options – pickup or mailback
- DOT-compliant transport of waste and waste manifests
We provide everything you need to package, label, and track your waste and remain compliant with both federal and Virginia laws and regulations.
Call us at 804.312.9163 to request a free quote for biomedical waste disposal services in Virginia, including the Richmond metro area.