Regulated Medical Waste Disposal Solutions for Indiana & Chicago Metro Area
Our Merrillville, Indiana office is located in the South Shore area of Northwestern Indiana. The South Shore is famous for its breathtaking scenery and recreational opportunities. Some South Shore counties are also part of the Chicago metropolitan area, often called "Chicagoland."
Sharps Compliance, a full-service medical waste management and disposal company, serves the entire state of Indiana as well as the Chicago metro area. Cities in our coverage area include:
- Indianapolis, IN
- Fort Wayne, IN
- Evansville, IN
- South Bend, IN
- Carmel, IN
- Fishers, IN
- Bloomington, IN
- Hobart, IN
- Chicagoland cities in Illinois, including Joliet, Naperville, and Aurora
Custom Medical Waste Disposal Solutions for Indiana Waste Generators
We work with you to create a custom RMW disposal option that matches your facility's needs and your budget.
- Many smaller medical waste generators use our USPS-authorized Sharps mailback system to manage and dispose of their sharps and red bag medical wastes
- Larger quantity generators often require DOT-compliant pickup service because the quantities generated are too large for the mailback systems.
- Medical waste generators whose individual locations generate amounts in both categories may benefit from a hybrid system combining both of the above options.
- We provide specialized disposal services for facilities that handle trace chemotherapy or other cytotoxic drugs. Our
Talk with our medical waste management experts about your needs.
Affordable Regulated Medical Waste Management for Indiana
Many people associate medical waste with large medical facilities, like hospitals and surgical care centers. However, even small healthcare providers and businesses, like dental offices, veterinary clinics, tattoo parlors, med spas, and funeral homes, generate medical waste. Even small quantities of regulated medical waste must be managed, transported, and disposed of in a manner that complies with both state and federal regulations.
Consider all the regulations involved! The Indiana Department of Health defines what constitutes infectious waste, whereas the Indiana Department of Environmental Management determines how that waste is to be handled as follows:
Infectious waste is defined by the Indiana Department of Health (IDOH) rules (410 IAC 1-3-10) and Indiana code IC 16-41-16-4 as waste capable of transmitting a dangerous communicable disease. Infectious waste includes pathological wastes, such as tissue, organs and body parts, contaminated sharps, biological cultures, blood and blood products in liquid or semiliquid form, laboratory animal carcasses, body parts, bedding, infectious agent stock, and other waste.
According to IC 16-41-16 and 410 IAC 1-3-22, generators and those who provide services to generators are responsible for proper containment, labeling, effective treatment, transport, and disposal of infectious wastes. IDEM regulates offsite management of infectious wastes by businesses. Infectious waste must be treated or incinerated before it can be disposed of in a Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF).
Many smaller quantity RMW generators struggle to comply with all the regulations. You're already busy trying to manage your healthcare facility or business. Who has the time to monitor regulatory changes, study complex regulations, and train staff?
Sharps Compliance does. You don't have to be an RMW expert – that's our job! We can help you comply with all federal and Indiana state requirements for regulated waste management.
For information about Illinois state requirements for potentially infectious medical waste management and disposal, consult our Chicago medical waste disposal page.
Indiana Medical Waste Management Regulators
Multiple federal and state agencies are involved in medical waste disposal regulatory oversight and enforcement in Indiana. Those regulatory bodies include:
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- US Department of Transportation (DOT)
- US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH)
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM)
- Indiana Office of Land Quality (OLQ)
Let Sharps Compliance help you navigate the complex web of state and federal medical waste regulations. We supply the tools you and your staff need to remain in compliance and protect your staff and patients.
The Sharps Compliance Advantage
Sharps Compliance has been a leading authority on medical waste disposal regulations for over 25 years. We offer a suite of full-service solutions, including:
- Access to our staff of medical waste regulatory experts
- Superior personal service
- DOT-compliant transport of waste, detailed logs/shipping papers, and proof of destruction
- An online tracking system that meets the cradle-to-grave requirements for regulated medical wastes
- Immediate access to an online regulatory resource that offers up-to-date compliance information
- Transparent and affordable pricing
- DOT and OSHA-required training available online, 24/7
- Flexible options for disposal: pickup or mailback
With Sharps Compliance, you always know what services you're getting and how much it will cost. There are never any unexpected fees or surcharges. We provide everything you need to package, label, and track your waste and remain compliant with state and local laws and regulations.
Are you ready to get started?
We take the guesswork out of medical waste compliance. Let us handle the regulatory details while you focus on your core business.
Call us at 219.661.6430 to request a free quote for regulated medical waste disposal services in Indiana.